Hialeah, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: Q: In Florida, by law can the magistrate to make me pay arrears by forcing me to use my credit cards ?

My Ex has filed a motion for contempt and enforcement of failure to pay child support. Last summer I moved from Miami to Orlando when I found a job. Last summer I was placed under income garnishment by the magistrate, and have been garnished (65% of my income)since my move to Orlando, Fl until August 2016 till I became unemployed. The petitioner claims I have two jobs (which I don't) and I am able to afford my bills but not pay the full amount of child support ordered. I live off of less than 20% of my pay which I receive after garnishment. My annual income has been $15,000 (my child support is around $700 a month for my 2 daughters) a year for the past 4 years I am below poverty level, no car, living under my brother's roof since my separation and divorce in 2012. Last two years of my marriage I was a stay at home dad. Since then I have been sued, harassed, intimidated, belittle and violated. Its Nov 7th I just got a job cannot afford to travel for hearing on 18th.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Arthur Smitten
John Arthur Smitten
  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No thay cannot force you to pay by using a credit card.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.