Greensboro, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: i just got in the US 9 months ago, is it possible that the person who petitioned me can report me and send me back?

due to family problems.. i cant take my stepfather anymore.. im planning to leave his(stepfather) house .. and just worried about if he(stepdad) can report me and lie to the authorities and send me back where i came from..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Franchesco Donovan Fickey Martinez
Franchesco Donovan Fickey Martinez
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Hello Sir or Ma'am, I am assuming you are a Green Card Holder (aka Lawful Permanent Resident) because you mentioned "petition." A family member, even someone who petitioned for you in the past, cannot take away your Lawful Status in the U.S. and force your return to your home country. A petitioner does not have that kind of power once a Green Card is given. Respectfully.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.