Mohegan Lake, NY asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for District of Columbia

Q: Can a judge order an abuser to pay a petitioner's legal fees, as well as pay rent, as part of a civil protection order?

My friend T.L. (anonymous) was physically and verbally assaulted by her boyfriend. She had the cops remove him from her apartment (he was not on the lease in the first place) after she called to say that she felt unsafe around him. She is interested in filing a protective order, but wants to know whether it can go beyond just preventing him from further contact with her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sean R Hanover
Sean R Hanover
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: Great question! So, when you file in DC for a protective order, you ask what relief you are seeking. When you go to Court, the judge will complete (or you will settle with the opposing side) an order regarding your motion for a protective order. A section on that "order" includes payment of home expenses, attorney fees, etc. Note, however, generally, a person cannot be forced to pay rent unless they are on the lease and have been paying already.

When going to Court, it is important to provide evidence of the abuse, and why it would be fair to have the "abuser" pay anything. There is a difference between an order to "stay away" and making the individual pay on going rent payments. That will require a compelling reason. Generally, the Court won't cover your attorney fees unless the abuse was particularly bad.

The ticket to success in protective custody hearings (held on the first floor of the Courthouse on 500 Indiana Avenue) is settlement. Most folks don't want a protective order on their record. To avoid that, they will consent to a settlement that could well include rent payments. However, make sure you chat with an attorney before agreeing to anything. We would be glad to help!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.