Ellijay, GA asked in Tax Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: Home behind taxes 4 years 4200.00$ valued 120,000 can the county take the home

1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO

A: You're question's a bit lite on facts, but I'll try. Depending on what type of tax we're talking about will determine who and when you home could be foreclosed upon for failure to pay tax. Generally, there is no minimum amount of tax owed which determines the foreclosure ability. It's most often based on time. So technically yes, your home could be taken. However, when the amount is disproportionate to the value most tax agencies will pursue other collection method. You'll likely be garnished or levied before your home is taken. Regardless I would strongly suggest you reach out to the tax agency either directly or through a tax attorney and begin the process of resolving the amount owed. The first mistake most people make is to ignore the numerou notices received. If you can't pay the tax pick up the phone and tell someone at the tax agency. There are almost always ways to pause collections or pay a minimal amount per month. Once you come to an agreement and you maintain the required status under that agreement you don't have to be worried about your home being taken.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.