Eugene, OR asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon

Q: How can I appeal a judgement that modified my sole custody of my 9 ur old daughter. So that I have sole custody again.

Her father has not allowed me to tal to her for the last 2 days. He took away her phone I bought because she sent me text begging me to come and get her and take her home with me. Also sent me messages saying she is nroken hearted without me. She has only lived with me. Never only with her father. She is devistated. Her life has veen turned upside down and shaken and flipped about so life as she has known it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Without knowing why the judgment was modified in the first place, an attorney isn't really going to be able to answer your question. What I would focus on is helping your daughter transition to living with her father if that is what the court ordered for now, and file to get a parenting plan that specifically spells out certain hours and times of the day that your daughter and you can have phone contact without father interfering. Courts don't change custody without having a reason, but if you feel the decision was wrong or unfair, you will need to make an appointment to discuss this with an attorney. But for now, what you can easily modify is the parenting time plan. Changing custody is harder.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.