Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Appeals / Appellate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Probate for Oregon on
Q: My father passed away over 10 years ago. I am his daughter. What rights do I have as his beneficiary in Oregon?

I was a minor when he passed and he was not legally married to my mother, but did sign my birth certificate declaring him as my father. My mom told me that he did have life insurance and that I was on it as his beneficiary. I have no idea why I wasn't contacted in regards to this policy, or... Read more »

Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis answered on Nov 14, 2019

It's possible that you have some rights in regards to your father's estate but I don't have enough facts to know for sure. If he died without a Will then you are one of his intestate heirs. However, this is only helpful if he owned assets that needed to go through probate (assets... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: I have an eviction that starts tonite but I have proof now that I owe my home not my trustee or trust.

what can i do now. Fraud has been committed by my half-brother the trustee, I need help asap please

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Nov 4, 2019

You need to start calling around for attorney's ASAP, as attorney's here cannot contact you (please don't contact me, I can't help you). Use the find a lawyer link above and find someone who does landlord/tenant or perhaps trusts and estates.

Q: If a therapy practice as a whole will not accept registered sex offenders as clients. Do they need to make this known?

If a therapy practice has a policy that they do not see registered sex offenders as clients,

Should this information be made available to you, on their website, or as a screening question?

It wasn't made available to a friend of mine and he started therapy and was seen for 9... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 24, 2019

I'm unaware of it. The practice should have asked. He can file a complaint with the licensing board but I dont see anything. However he should contact a member of the State of Washington Trial Lawyers Assn/Assn for Justice--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: How can I appeal a judgement that modified my sole custody of my 9 ur old daughter. So that I have sole custody again.

Her father has not allowed me to tal to her for the last 2 days. He took away her phone I bought because she sent me text begging me to come and get her and take her home with me. Also sent me messages saying she is nroken hearted without me. She has only lived with me. Never only with her father.... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Nov 16, 2016

Without knowing why the judgment was modified in the first place, an attorney isn't really going to be able to answer your question. What I would focus on is helping your daughter transition to living with her father if that is what the court ordered for now, and file to get a parenting plan... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Oregon on
Q: I got a reversal in a criminal mistreatment case in the court of appeals by the supreme court how do I clear my record?
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 11, 2015

You have not given enough facts for a meaningful answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Oregon on
Q: Do Federal agencies respect Federal Appeal Court decisions in States that are not in the "Circuit" of that Appeal court?
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 18, 2015

What are the facts? You gave none. It depends upon the facts and the rulings. One of the ways that gets a case to the supreme court is when there is a conflict between the different circuits.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Oregon on
Q: When are cases being held in the Portland US Court of Appeals between Jan through June? Need to know for when a touring

Urban Tour Group, a volunteer organization that provides free tours to Portland School children, cannot tour the building when court is in session. We need the information when those dates would be, to enable our scheduler to not schedule tours during court dates.

Thank you very much. I... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 17, 2015

Perhaps you should call the court clerk and have a nice conversation about this.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Oregon on
Q: Any grievance process for tow hearing request denial. P.D. Lt. cited only lawful owner could contest. Request denied.

I was driving a truck for a friend when stopped by a canby officer, & towed as a result. Citing hazard as cause of impound. I reviewed all o.r.s relevent & feel the tow was unlawful. Canby tow reciept instructs process for hearing as the lawful possessor, security interest holder, or other... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 17, 2015

I hope this has been resolved by now. When you need legal advice, it is always best to go see a local attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.