Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: what right does an unwed father have to his kids in illinois? And what rights does the mother have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon C. Mayberry
Brandon C. Mayberry
  • Marion, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It depends if the father signed the birth certificate. If the father did not sign, he would have to file with the court to establish parentage and then once the father has been established through the courts he would have the same rights any other father has. At that point you would likely have to go through the court process to receive parenting time or parental responsibilities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.