Philadelphia, PA asked in Animal / Dog Law for Virginia

Q: Mother was temp caring for my dog, surrendered him to animal aid org without my permission. Can I get him back legally?

I was incarcerated briefly, but in regular contact and made it clear that I could make alternate arrangements if necessary. I also made clear that I was not willing to surrender him and had other options available if she was unable to care for him. She has admitted (recorded conversation) that she went against my wishes and our agreement and surrendered on her own despite this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Andrew T. Bodoh Esq.
Mr. Andrew T. Bodoh Esq.
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You could try to do so, but it would require a lawsuit--probably one in circuit court--which would be expensive. You should contact an attorney if you can afford one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.