Asked in Car Accidents and Municipal Law for Colorado

Q: How can I take care of an out of state warrant if I do not have the means to get to that state?

I was in a car accident in 2012 and I had to take an Alive at 25 class before I could leave. Due to many unfortunate events I couldn't stay there and have not been able to get back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There are few hardship exceptions for skipping a criminal charge. The most common approach for people who have out-of-state legal matters is to hire a lawyer in the original state (note: any jail time will still need to occur in the original state). It would be wise to attend because an active warrant (whether a felony or misdemeanor) can impact multiple aspects of your life (including arrest, revocation of license, termination from work, etc.).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.