Asked in Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: If I have a ticket from 15 years ago for no insurance and I was so pos to do community service but dint do it.

I dint do the community service because I was in the hospital. What can I do now??

1 Lawyer Answer
Jason A. Wilkins
Jason A. Wilkins
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Carol Stream, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello Asker,

With regards to this ticket, the court may entertain bringing it back into court but you would need sufficient documentation to prove you were hospitalized. You are also going to need an excuse for why you are only now addressing this matter. In practice, cases can be brought back into court within 2 years. Exceptions are made for longer times but the longer the term, the less likely it is to succeed.

I would take caution in bringing this case back into court. Old insurance tickets are among one of the riskiest cases to file motions on because, absent proof of insurance for the date of the offense, there is a good chance that you can wind up doing more damage to your driving record than help. My recommendation would be to seek out an attorney to review your driving history BEFORE taking any action. Failing to do so can easily result in a new suspension.

I hope that helps and let us know if you have any questions.


Jason A. Wilkins

Traffic Attorney

(630) 445-2293

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.