Philadelphia, PA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: Help???

Hi I have a few questions if someone can help. My mother's house was raided. They came into the house with no one being there. The way they entered the house was threw a back sun room. They came in thru a locked window and picked the lock on the big door. How we knew was that all the closets where open and stuff moved out of place. Nothing was missing. No sign of forced entry they locked the door on the way out. We have a pit bull but she is very nice. My mother called local police and they said wasn't them but another County. So she contacted them. They tell her they had a warrant for the home. That they were looking for my sister supposedly boyfriend. My sister has been locked up since August it is now December. My sister has not lived at the home for years and her supposed boyfriend has never been in the home ever. They have never showed her the warrant and apologized for everything. Do we have the right to ask for the warrant and do they have the right to do what they have done.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
R. Patrick Link
R. Patrick Link
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Unfortunately, they probably owe nothing more than apology. If things were broken, or people injured during the execution of the warrant, you could have a possible lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.