Macon, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and International Law for Georgia

Q: Will I have a hard time obtaining a passport for my almost 3 year old daughter? We live in GA.

Her father and I were not married and he's not in the picture. I currently have a child support case in process. His last known location was in NC, but they haven't been able to locate him nor do I have an address. He is on her birth certificate and she does have his last name. He's only seen her about 5x in her life, but it's been over a year since she's last seen him. She wouldn't know him if he was standing in front of her.

I'm not trying to move out of the country or anything, I just want to take a trip or more if possible next year with my child. Will this be impossible if I can't locate him to get a signature on the form?

Also, if I understand correctly, by GA's laws I have sole custody since we weren't married. If that's the case, is there a way for me to get that in writing from a court to file with the passport form?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If there is no legitimation, you have sole legal custody, and should be able to obtain a passport. You may want to bring a copy of the law to the passport office.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.