Fulton, MS asked in Wrongful Death for Mississippi

Q: Can i sue for wrongful death of my 9 yrs old daughter the accident happened in 1998

my ex husband had custody of my daughter and he disappeared with her in 1992. I have searched for her ever since. After searching for her for 25 years, i finally found her grave site. I didn't know that my daughter was dead, i am devistated. i want answers. i want to know why? The internet says that she died as a result of an alcohol related car accident. i received her death certificate today (it is the worst feeling a person could ever have). Is there any legal action i can do about losing my baby. She was only 9 years old and i have searched for her for so long. I don't know what to do. She has been dead for almost 19 years and i just now find out. I guess you could say that i am angry, I want them to pay for my babies life. Whoever is at fault weather it be her father or the other driver.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: I wish I had good news but unfortunately the statute of limitations is long gone. I suggest you contact a member of the Mississippi Assn for Justice as they give free consultations and at least you'll know you did what you could.

If I may presume, as you seem to be in a lot of pain,there is a PTS therapy called EMDR you may want to try--it's not complicated, doesn't require a lot of sessions, no medication. Google Psychology Today EMDR (and name of your town)

All the best for as much healing as you can get.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.