Hollywood, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: My daughter is 17, is it too late for me to apply for child support?

I applied for child support years ago when she was like 2 or 3 years old but the support was denied because her father was sentence to 15 years in prison and Department of Children and Families stated that they cannot give me support if he's in prison more than half the child's life. He was released from prision mid last year and he still have not attempt to do anything. I just feel like it's so unfair that I had to give support to a child all alone and he got off Scott-free. Is it too late for me to apply for child support and possibly back pay?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Arthur Smitten
John Arthur Smitten
  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can still apply for child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.