New Canaan, CT asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut

Q: How can I force an ex-partner to leave my home? He pays nothing and we are no longer a couple.

I have owned my home since 1992. From 2001 - 2012, my partner and his 3 children lived here and we shared all expenses. I re-mortgaged to pay for an addition and a pool. We are no longer a couple due to his alcoholism, and no kids here anymore. He has not paid any money for living expenses for 3 years now. He is not on the deed, but is on the mortgage, but contributes nothing. I've put my house on the market and will give him something if and when it sells after I pay the mortgage off and recoup the updates I recently made. But I do not want to continue supporting him until it sells. He does nothing in the home, but eats the food I buy for myself and uses the utilities. Do I have any recourse?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: If he does not own the property and he has no lease with you and has not paid or contributed to household expenses evidencing some sort of agreement that he stay, then I would call the police as he is trespassing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.