Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nebraska

Q: Assault in the Third Degree?

I am 15 and my ex boyfriend faces Assault in the Third Degree charges. I have gotten access to screenshots of him asking other females to try and fight/assault me. Does this help my case in any way?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman

A: Just to clarify, it's not your case, but rather the state's case. That is, you are a witness or victim to a crime and now, it seems, the state of Nebraska is pursuing charges against your ex-boyfriend. To be clear, your ex-boyfriend could be found guilty based on your testimony alone if the jury finds it to be truthful and that he violated the law beyond a reasonable doubt.

The effect of your pictures of his screen shot depends on the policy of the prosecutor's office. They might use it as evidence or they might use it as a reason to give a harsher plea offer.

Finally, through your parents or parental unit, you could also bring a civil lawsuit against the ex-boyfriend. For all of this, you want to talk to a lawyer who specializes in domestic or dating violence.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.