Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nebraska on
Q: Is telling someone to go kill themself illegal?

My boyfriend and I are breaking up. It has been physical abuse and Mental. Now he's telling me to go kill myself. After he already knows that I have history of mental illness.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 9, 2019


1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Nebraska on
Q: Does the county attorney or the defendants legal counsel file motion for plea bargain if someone is incarcerated?
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 27, 2019

If the parties reach an agreement as to a plea deal, then it is often (but not always) the defendant's counsel that files a motion for an entry of a plea. Even more common is for the plea to be entered at an already scheduled hearing such as at a pre-trial or at the trial without a separate motion... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Divorce, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Custody for Nebraska on
Q: My wife disapeared and is believed to have gone to Texas with our 4.5 year old son and claiming some kind of abuse.

What are my options? There was no abuse except by her. There is a past though and I just got home from prison in Dec.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jul 1, 2019

If a spouse leaves with their child and the spouse left behind wants to pursue a divorce, the way to start a divorce action is generally to file a complaint for dissolution of marriage. In Nebraska, one of the spouses must have resided in the State of Nebraska for at least a year before a divorce... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Nebraska on
Q: My ex is getting custody of my oldest child, he is not biologically his. How do I stop this?

Ex husband was very abusive, reports and rrests on dv. Bc of a recent case with hhs and drug use (children not exposed in any way via proof hair follicle test) Temp guardianship was given to my parents. The ex, who was just released from jail on the exact same charges as me after being completely... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jun 24, 2019

You may want to take a look at the Nebraska Supreme Court case at Cesar C. v. Alicia L, 281 Neb. 979 (2011). In this case, the mother and non-biological father signed a notarized acknowledgment of paternity (the document signed that puts a father's on a birth certificate) stating that the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Nebraska on
Q: Is it just that in a criminal case like domestic assault, spousal privilege “may not be claimed” but still could be?

Or is it saying that in a criminal case that spousal privilege cannot be exercised?

Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Apr 7, 2019

Spousal privilege cannot be claimed. The idea of it as a defense in a criminal matter (domestic assault, sex trafficking, drugs) is really no longer valid. Some communication may be excluded or barred, but over the year the privilege has been eroded.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Nebraska on
Q: My wife got third degree domestic assault. Nebraska. Class a misdemeanor. No past history. How long will no contact be?
Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Feb 1, 2018

The no contact is until the case has been resolved unless the court allows the contact. My suggestion is that you have her lawyer remove the no-contact order or if your the alleged victim you speak to the prosecution and her lawyer about having it removed. A good criminal lawyer should be the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nebraska on
Q: Assault in the Third Degree?

I am 15 and my ex boyfriend faces Assault in the Third Degree charges. I have gotten access to screenshots of him asking other females to try and fight/assault me. Does this help my case in any way?

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman answered on Jan 23, 2017

Just to clarify, it's not your case, but rather the state's case. That is, you are a witness or victim to a crime and now, it seems, the state of Nebraska is pursuing charges against your ex-boyfriend. To be clear, your ex-boyfriend could be found guilty based on your testimony alone if the jury... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.