Ludlow, MA asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Massachusetts

Q: What can I do to own a firearm?

When I was a minor I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when my dad checked me in to a mental hospital. All the while I saw a judge in the phsyciatric hospital and they committed me stay a prolonged period of time to undergo testing that my father had wanted. I now recieve SSI on a custodial account with my father, he has no gaurdianship.I've taken IQ tests and undergone extensive testing the results were avg to high intelligence. Is it legal for me to own a firearm as it stands now and if not what is the process to go about proving competency, appealing case, for instance I know that I can get my medical record expunged, are there any more steps I would have to take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Check with your local laws re: background checks for firearm purchases. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.