Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: I was arrested for attempting to enter my rental property with my key when the tenant was supposed to be gone due

to nonpayment of rent for 4 months. I did not enter the dwelling, but simply stayed on the front porch talking to the tenant's boyfriend, who is not on the lease, and he pushed me twice to make me fall off the porch. He was not charged with assault. Can I sue the police dept

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman

A: It is traditionally very hard to sue the police, particularly because there is a well-established principle that they can use their discretion to decide who to arrest. One area of law to check out is "selective enforcement" where you would be alleging the police arrested you but not the other person. Here is a case:

With that said, this area of law is in flux and it is hard to prove even if the court accepts this theory.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.