Tucson, AZ asked in Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: hello i was involved in a domestic violence case with my mom . i am 24 years old (victim). how can i drop charges

i only have a tiny scratch on my leg but may have been caused by me kicking a screen door.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashelee Weeks
Ashelee Weeks
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You can not "drop" charges. Once the police are involved and the individual has been charged it is up to the State. You can tell them you do not wish to prosecute, but in the end it is the State's call how to proceed. In domestic violence cases, it is very typical that the victim wants to "drop" charges and not aid in prosecution. The prosecutor deals with these circumstances all the time and will likely not dismiss the case just because the victim does not want to prosecute. Your mother (individual charged) should consult with a criminal defense attorney who is experienced in these types of cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.