Calumet City, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: Landlord delays repairs, which end up costing me money. Any recourse when repair/deduct clause doesn't apply?

My landlord does repairs himself or his cousin. They have full time jobs, so we have to wait until they have time/money. When the heat broke he claimed no company was available to come out and wanted us to wait for his off day to come fix it, 3 days later. My husband found someone with no problem and we paid. When I expressed concern that the leaking toilets and tub pipe will raise our water bill they took 2 wks to fix the pipe and my husband fixed the guest toilet himself. The master toilet had to be replaced. This took a month. My water bill was very high. Also, the toilet was replaced with a cheaper, much shorter one. My husband is 6'2". I had back surgery. I wouldn't have ever rented a house with a toilet this small. The landlord broke the master hot water sink handle 2 months ago, preventing use. I asked weekly about repair and was told he was looking for parts. He finally said he'll replace the entire faucet. Still waiting a mont. These are just a few examples of many.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Swati S. Desai
Swati S. Desai
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Lincolnshire, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You need to see an attorney.

Keep all proof of the repair situation at your property (letters, pictures, emails, texts), and bring that to the lawyer along with a copy of the lease.

If you do not have hot water, heat or plumbing, you can contact the health department and file a complaint. These are essential services that must be fixed in 24 hours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.