Pagosa Springs, CO asked in Adoption and Family Law for Utah

Q: Will my son have to pay back any medicaid/welfare payments owed to Utah if his son is adopted by his stepdad

The government just took his income tax return to pay back child support but he wants to know if he will still have to pay back the state of Utah for any welfare received by his sons mom for him. He is literally kept in poverty with all the child support he has to pay. He can not even afford to pay his rent or vehicle payment and he has to have this in order to even have a job.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Fort Collins, CO

A: if your son cannot reasonably afford the support, he should seek a modification of child support (presumably in Utah). Adoption does not normally transfer liability to others, but comingling ownership of assets (this can include tax returns listed as a dependent) can be levied for support payments.

Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL

A: You contact a Utah attorney. Chances are he will have to pay something back in the form of child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.