Humble, TX asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: I have joint custody here in Texas 2 hours every Thursday, then every 1st,3rd, 5th weekend. Can Request more time?

It's been 5/6 years since we got the court order, but I don't get to see my son enough, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of his life, and it doesn't help that his mother doesn't inform me on anything going on at his school, I always have to be finding out by calling the schools, she tries to exclude me from his life as much as she cans which is unfair because I pay half of his expenses through child support, we have joint custody meaning I have equal rights to him, and on top of that he's 6 years old, old enough to understand everything, he already tells me that he can't wait to get older to come live with me cause he feels excluded when he's with his mom since she has a new family with two more kids. I just honestly care about my son and his well being, he comes first before anything and anyone and I wish she thought the same way instead of being very spiteful, CPS has been involved 3 times cause I've picked him up from his mom in pretty bad conditions in the past.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristin Kim Kline
Kristin Kim Kline
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can always go back and modify the original court order and ask to be primary conservator and your son live with you. Whenever there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances and you think the conditions at his Mom's house are detrimentally affecting him seek primary custody.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.