Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: will my conviction be over turned?

In AZ I plead guilty for a diversion program, completed late. Conviction went in. As a result of miscommunication. I was told to appear in court 12 months from 10 26 15. I requested a extension a week prior and found out I had a warrant and court date was for 10/17/16. Judge accepted the late completion. once the fine is paid or community service is done ptrs case will be dismissed but I'm not sure if that means I won't have a conviction.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Maerowitz
Matthew Maerowitz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Based on your question, it appears you have a conviction now. Dismissing the PTR does not reverse the conviction. Instead, it just means that you are believed to be in compliance with probation and as a result the probation matter is (at least temporarily) not going forward.

True diversion agreements require you to plead guilty, but it is conditional guilty plea meaning judgment and sentence is suspended to allow you to have an opportunity to complete the diversion program. If the program is successfully completed, then the case is dismissed. Some courts such as Tempe have diversion programs that do not require a guilty plea. Although sometimes called diversion, this is really a "deferred" prosecution agreement because there is no guilty plea on record so the judge cannot enter sentence without a guilty plea or being found guilty at trial.

It appears from your question your diversion program required a conditional guilty plea, but because you failed diversion the judge executed sentence. What likely happened is that you were still required to complete classes and when proof of completion was not timely received, a PTR (petition to revoke) was filed. Once the proof of classes was received and accepted, the PTR was then dismissed but the conviction still remains.

Hope that helps! Keep in mind this is just general information based on your questions and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is still recommended you consult an attorney to better understand your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.