Salt Lake City, UT asked in Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: Should I just pay the ticket or also do the traffic school or contest in court?

I was driving northbound on I-15 coming form Vegas and was close to Nephi, UT. Speed limit was 80 and I was driving around 90. Office from other side took a U Turn and pulled me over and told me I was driving at 92 and gave me ticket. I admitted to him I was driving around 90 as I am a physician and I was going to hospital for my shift.

Should I just pay the ticket or also do the traffic school? I am worried about plea in Abeyance if I get another ticket by mistake in next 6 months. Should I contest it in court?

I had first ticket in Illinois in 2011 for which I did driving school, second in 2012 which is in my records, third in 2015 which is not in record as I got in Utah while I was driving on out of state license. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matt A Munson
Matt A Munson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cedar City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It will likely be difficult to defend this, given your admission, unless you can establish that the officer's radar is/was faulty. In my opinion, a PIA is your best option, as it at least gives you a chance of keeping this from going on your record. If you pay the fine, it goes on your record, and if you contest the matter and are found guilty, it will go on your record as well. Hence, I would ask the prosecutor if he will allow you to enter plea of No Contest to Speeding (89MPH in 80MPH zone). That will save you a little money and will allow both of you to resolve the matter without going to trial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.