Baton Rouge, LA asked in Probate for Alaska

Q: I'm living in a house that my companion has a 50% ownership two children own 25% each. He leaves his 50% to me in will.

Can they through me out and take the house. I 'd like to stay in the house. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: You have apparently asked another related question. The other one has already been answered; I will answer this one.

If you inherit by will a half interest in the house, you will own the house in common with the children. For them to throw you out they would have to sue you to "partition" the property. If they do so, it would probably be sold and the proceeds divided among the three of you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.