Souderton, PA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kentucky

Q: Mom and Dad own home jointly in KY for 11 yrs; mom dies with no will (3 living children). Does house go directly to Dad?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: If Mom and Dad own the home as joint tenants with right of survivorship (which would be reflected in their Deed), the house would pass to the surviving joint tenant (Dad) directly. It would not be controlled by her will or lack thereof. If, however, Mom and Dad own the house as Co-tenants, the result might be very different. If this appears to be the case, consult a local attorney. Many offer free initial consultations. Good luck to you.

PS: My answers here are for general information only and are not legal advice about your particular situation or the applicability of any particular law. They are not an invitation to join in, and are not intended to create, nor do they create, an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.