Absecon, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: Do I have to go over old ground when applying for my i-751 in relation to question 20 when I submitted everything before

I had some very minor indiscretions as a youngster under the age of 18yo one of which being found in possession of less than 0.5 grams of cannibis. When applying for my original 2 year conditional visa (which I obtained in London without incident) I used an attorney who specialized in this type of thing. We were honest and submitted everything I had in relation to those minor incidents. Now its time to apply for my i-751 do I have to go over all this again and answer yes to question 20 given that they looked through everything before and had no problems? Thanks in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Brooke Shaffer
Amanda Brooke Shaffer
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes you must answer every question honestly. Even if you already told immigration about it before. Immigration knows about your previous criminal offense and if you answer that question "no," your application will be denied and you will most likely be placed in immigration proceedings. I suggest you contact an experienced immigration attorney to assist you with the filing as even a minor criminal offense can be problematic.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.