Q: I am threatened and blackmailed by someone in another country. Can US police do anything about it?

My boyfriend living in another country has been blackmailing me with revenge porn and has threatened my life several times. I have lots of proof of this in text messages. When we met he also abused me. I don't know if going to the police will help because I have heard they have no jurisdiction in that country. Could they do something about it? If yes, what can they do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman

A: The state has jurisdiction when its citizens are harmed or threatened. The more likely reason for this response is that they do not want to get involved because he is overseas and it takes a lot of effort to get him. Does he ever travel back to the states?

Here is a chart outlining the status of "revenge porn" across the country: http://kellywarnerlaw.com/revenge-porn-laws-50-state-guide/

You may also have civil options, which may be better because your lawyer can be in control and you don't have to rely on the police. Reach out to a lawyer or organization that focuses on this issue and ask them for a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.