Kenmore, WA asked in Trademark for Washington

Q: Looking to trademark my stage name as a DJ / Producer.

There is an unregistered band with the same name as I want "Ugly Sweater Party"

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You should contact a qualified entertainment or IP attorney for legal advice. For your name to be protectable as a trademark you will have to show that it is being used in commerce. Although a mark is not a registered trademark, the user can claim a common law right, by showing priority of use, in that, they have been using the mark before you. You should conduct trademark searches to identify third party trademarks, both common law and registered.

The materials provided herein are for informational purposes only and do not constitute advertising, solicitation or legal advice. Consequently, you should not rely upon it as advice about specific legal problems because it does not constitute the rendering of legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. If you need legal or other professional advice, you should consult with appropriate legal counsel familiar with your particular facts and circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.