Kailua Kona, HI asked in DUI / DWI for Hawaii

Q: If I am charged with a DWI will I lose my license when I go to court?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Bilkis
Stephen Bilkis pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Yes, you could. You are, however, entitled to a hearing to determine if the judge can take your license (provided you have taken a blood test). If you have any evidence that refutes what the court has against you, you may be able to keep your license while the case is being decided.

Lauren M. Sharon
Lauren M. Sharon
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: In Hawaii, both the ADLRO and the court has the power to revoke or suspend your driver's license.

The ADLRO is an administrative agency. It can revoke or suspend your driver's license if your blood, breath, or urine results show a minimum amount of alcohol (.08 or higher) or any drugs or drug metabolites. It also has the power to revoke or suspend your license if you refuse to consent to providing a chemical sample. It may be possible to request a hearing through the ADLRO. You should consult with an attorney immediately regarding this.

If the ADLRO has not yet suspended you license for the same incident, the Court has the power to suspend or revoke your license if you get convicted of OUI.

Please consult with an attorney immediately to learn more and to confirm his advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.