Cullman, AL asked in Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Alabama

Q: If someone is in work they are put on road crew and are hit by a car that is speeding what can

(He was on work release )Be done besides the drivers insurance company,is the facility held reliable and if you sue his insurance company can you still take him to civil court or go after the facility,after sueing,his he was a adoc inmate

2 Lawyer Answers
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: This is not a criminal law question. Its a civil law litigation question.

Any time you are injured in any way you and your lawyer should sue every single person, firm, corporation or governmental entity that you and he or she can reasonably determine might be responsible. You do not sue their insurance company. You sue them. You sue them all at once, all at the same time. Their insurance companies will appear and defend them, and will pay any final judgment you are awarded, up to the limits of their insurance.

It is highly unlikely that can succeed doing this by yourself. Consult a lawyer. Most lawyers do not charge for the initial interview, when you tell them about your case and they tell you your chances for success and how much they will charge to represent you. They will also figure out who might be responsible. They are much better at this than you are likely to be.

WARNING: I am not your lawyer and providing you with the generic information, definition, clarification or explanation you seek about a legal matter on this anonymous forum does not make me your lawyer. By answering your question I am only trying to provide you with general information that will deepen your understanding of the legal concept that appears to be an issue for you, that will hopefully guide you in selecting and communicating with a lawyer of your choosing. The reason for all this is that legal problems are intensely fact-driven, and it is impossible to give anyone correct legal advice without comprehensive inquiry by the lawyer into the specific facts of the situation that concerns you, and the law of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and that is impossible to accomplish through this website. Even though I am not your lawyer, if I should later become your lawyer no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: I'd say there are some other angles. If the person is criminally charged you may be able to get some unreimbursed medical expenses made part of restitution; you have a number of rights and it makes sense to talk to a member of the Alabama Assn for Justice--they give free consults.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.