Denver, CO asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: If judge did not order money judgement in eviction does the tenant have to pay rent to perfect appeal?

Judge ordered my tenant out in 48 hrs. but she appealed. The judge set a later date for money damages so there was no money ordered when she appealed. She got bond waived due to formas pauperis .Tenant owes 3 months rent and $700 water bill and continues to live in my home for free with water being shut off. Appeal is not perfected yet and I thought current rent should be paid with that. How can I get the court to order money damages and current rent during appeal? Could I start another eviction process to get this tenant out of my home?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It is probably best to talk to an attorney before you proceed. The attorney might be able to expedite the appeal process too. If the judge did not award back rent it is probably because either it was not requested or the judge denied the request. If the judge denied the request, you will need to appeal this aspect of the determination (a hard claim). If the request was not made you may be able to amend the determination (unless a final order was granted). In the alternative you can pursue an action is small claims court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.