Salt Lake City, UT asked in Child Support for Utah

Q: Can I get my backed child support reduced?.

I was ordered to pay 316$ but it was modified to 266$ before it became final because I have another child, but they did not reduce the backed child support, I also changed jobs because the previous one was seasonal and I needed a permanent job but I get paid less now I get 10.50 an hr. I used to get 13.50 an hr. But they didn't change that either. They are garnishing 92.08 from every check. I get paid weekly but I am left with a little less than 300$ is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron

A: In Utah, by law, you usually cannot change your back child support obligation, and a judge can only modify child support "back" to the date of filing of a petition to modify your child support obligation. You should consult with an experienced lawyer to discuss the full specifics of your case to see what relief you can get.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.