Honolulu, HI asked in Estate Planning for Hawaii

Q: Can I file an amendment to my revocable living trust with out my lawyer as long as it is notarized

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: Of course you can. You can also cut off your index finger, or do your own appendix removal.

What you SHOULD do however, might be different than what you can do.

Trusts are complicated documents and one section often relies on the language of another, and the WHOLE thing needs to work as a unit to accomplish the goals of the trust as it was set up.

An attorney will ask questions like WHY do you have a trust, WHAT are your goals, and HOW can we accomplish those goals using the law as it stands today. If you can't answer these questions you probably shouldn't try to amend a trust.

Seek out a local estate planning lawyer who can help -- it will be far cheaper than trying to fix a problem you didn't anticipate when you tried to save some money by 'doing it yourself'.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.