Waltham, MA asked in Real Estate Law for Connecticut

Q: I want to stop the sale of my aunt's home. She passed away and didn't have a will house is paid for what can I do?

I want to stop the sale of my aunt's home. She passed away and didn't have a will I was living with her for several years and she was my legal guardian at a point. Do I have any rights? Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You can go to the probate court where the estate is being probated and state your case to the judge. If you are not an heir and have no right to assets of the estate, then i'd say you're likely out of luck. If you live there without a lease agreement then the estate administrator likely has the right to evict you in order to sell the property. You can try to ask to purchase the property from the estate, which might be the best option. Consult a local probate attorney for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.