Houston, TX asked in Workers' Compensation and Employment Discrimination for Texas

Q: I am asking for advice on behalf of my mother, her employeer has stopped paying wages for workmen's compensation.

The wages have stopped with out notice. We spoke to the insurance adjuster handling the claim and she stated she would check with the employeer for the status or reason of the missing wages. Due to not receiving these wages my mother was not able to purchase her prescriptions that she needs to take for the rest of her life. She was admitted to the hospital due to it.

1 Lawyer Answer
S. Michael Graham
S. Michael Graham
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You will probably need to speak to a lawyer to get your answer because there is just not enough information to answer your question. Most workers' compensation lawyers will speak to you for free over the phone. The answer will depend on whether your mother's claim is under workers' compensation, or an occupational injury plan, or possibly short term or long term disability plan, or a wage continuation plan offered by the employer.

Since your question is filed under workers' comp section, I will try to answer it that way. If your mom was getting wage continuation from the employer and she has not been placed at maximum medical improvement (MMI) and she is still unable to work due to her work-related injuries, then the workers' compensation carrier should start paying her temporary income benefits. If she has been placed at MMI and she was receiving her impairment income benefits, then her income benefits may be finished. She would still be entitled to life time medical for her work-related injury and this would include payment for her prescription medication provided it is reasonable and necessary for her work-related injury. I know this might seem a bit complicated and that is because it is. Again, to make sure your mother's legal rights are protected, my advice would be to speak to a knowledgable attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.