Asked in Criminal Law and Tax Law for Alabama

Q: Hi, what can my son do to get his tax refund that was directly deposited in his girlfriend bank account?

She filed his tax return online with H&R Block. And she was told to have his refund directly deposited into my bank account like she did last year. But instead she had it sent to her account. And now she refuse to give it to him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Melbourne, FL

A: It sounds like you are stating she filed his tax return without him being present to review and approve the return or authorize its filing. This is very unusual without a specific Power of Attorney authorizing her to do so. However, since it sounds like she was authorized to do this by your son, that is not really what the IRS is looking at in fraudulently filed returns, though H&R Block should not have allowed this.

You may want to talk to the local police department about theft of the tax return funds, but I am not sure if they will pursue it in this sort of situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.