Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: What are my rights as a mother that wants to leave Puerto Rico but the father does not want to sign the permissions?

I'm unemployed to have nothing going for me here to give my son. I would like to leave to the United States to give my son a better life, education, ECT. I really need help on finding out what I should do so I can leave or if I could leave..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hi,

Even if the father doesn't gives you the permission to leave Puerto Rico, you can file a case of Custody and transfer of the minor to the US. This will take a while if the father doesn't consent quickly, but the Court will initiate an evaluation of the new residence of the minor and will or will not allow you to travel to the US. The permission will depend on the evidence provided to the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.