Charleston, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: Can a sue a ex tenant in small claims court that owes me three months of rent and part of the water bill?

There is a lot more to the story. There was no lease. I have watched enough court shows to know this means it is month to month. She stopped payment on a rent check, refused to pay April's rent and then moved out sometime in May without notice. If she would have paid the two month so owed me I would let May slide but since she refuses to be a decent human being she owns me three months of rent (750 x 3) plus half of the water bill (536/2). I would like to send a certified letter from a lawyer to try and keep this out of court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Swati S. Desai
Swati S. Desai
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Lincolnshire, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: From your description of the situation, it seems that you do have grounds for a lawsuit.

You may benefit from "a la carte" or "unbundled" legal services, in which you hire an attorney to draft a letter on your behalf and hope that that scares the other party into compliance.

If that does not work, you will need to file suit in order to get a resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.