Brooklyn, NY asked in Domestic Violence and Immigration Law for New York

Q: LPR 8 yrs now, I had a DV case dismissed, with a 2 year restraining order against, Can i put in my citizenship now?

I was never convicted. The case was dropped. I had GMC ever since i became an LPR. Will a disposition letter help? How long should i wait if ever? And can i sponsor my wife a green card?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clifton, NJ

A: To make a precise determination of what can be done for you, an in person consultation is necessary. If you had a DV case dismissed, but had a 2 year restraining order against you, that means you had Civil Restraints against you, so that is not a dismissal, but it means instead of a Final Restraining Order, (the violation of which is criminal) you had Civil Restraints, there violation of which would not be criminal. Trump is now President.Immigration is a very complex area of law. It is a lot more than merely filling out forms. You need to retain an immigration attorney to handle all immigration proceedings. This prevents errors that can sometimes prove costly and may even be irreversible. You should always seek to obtain the best attorney that you can afford and not let geographic restrictions stand in the way. Some immigration attorneys will charge a consultation fee, however those that do so, will give full credit if you retain their law firm. Do not let geographic restrictions prevent you from obtaining the best possible attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.