Louisville, CO asked in Child Support and Social Security for Utah

Q: My fiance died while I was five months pregnant. Need to have him added to birth certificate and to have a court order.

I have DNA already. I am in slc utah

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron

A: You need to file a parentage action in the appropriate court to establish your deceased fiancé as the father so that he can be added to the birth certificate. There may be a jurisdictional issue depending on where your child was conceived, where the biological father died, etc. A lawyer can help you. You can also find information on parentage in the self help section at utcourts.gov.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.