Saint Petersburg, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Can convictions ever be changed later on in life? It was adjudication withheld 10 years ago.

In 2007 I was arrested dealing in stolen property (adjudication withheld) I'm now thirty this was 10 years ago is there any way of ever changing that it states I was arrested for a felony offense. Im interested in joining the military and it does stop me from enlistment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Larry Sandefer
Larry Sandefer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your answer is not going to be a yes or no. If you have never been convicted of a crime you may be eligible to get your record sealed. A withholding of adjudication means you were not convicted under Florida law. So, if that is all you have ever had you may be eligible for a sealing. A sealed record means that under Florida law you can say it does not exist, and the general public will not be able to locate it in the local government records. However, there are exceptions in the statute to when and to whom you must reveal it. Also, the federal government does not recognize a withholding of adjudication and the federal government will treat it as a conviction. You should talk with an experienced criminal defense attorney about your particular situation and what may be available for you. It is worth talking to someone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.