Lansing, MI asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Michigan

Q: Please tell me if your my husbands Lawyer that patented speed latch on 9/23/2003 I'm the wife and I

I would like to re open the paten again if I could.

Is there a way?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Moorestown, NJ

A: I am sorry, but I think that the patent is irretrievably gone.

No, I am not your attorney, but here is what I found based on publicly available records on patent 5,947,356, issued September 7, 1999.

Steven asked the U.S. Patent Office in October 2011, shortly after your husband’s death, to pay the last maintenance fee, but then in November he faxed them a request to withdraw the payment and he put a stop order on the check. Around December 15, 2011, the Patent Office sent to the Grand Ledge address, as well as Steven’s address in Calumet, a notice that shows that the petition to pay the maintenance fee has been dismissed with prejudice as moot.

You could hire a patent attorney to see if there is anything else that could be done or if I just got the above information wrong. In any case, even if your attorney would be successful in reviving the patent, please note it would expire in July next year anyway.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.