Mankato, MN asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for Minnesota

Q: Would emancipation wedding with someone I love help get them out of a charge with me that's 3rd degree sexual conduct?

I am 16 and my boyfriend is 22 he just turned 22 not even a month ago. Me and him have been dating awhile and I hate where I live and have been wanting to live with him and start our lives. (I know I am young but I am mature enough). While with these charges would we still be able to get married and would it drop the charges. Not doing it so the charges would get dropped would be doing it because I love him but I just wanted to know if it would drop the charges?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Consent is not a defense to the statutory rape of a minor in the state of Minnesota. Thus, marrying this individual would not result in the charges being dropped. Further, the marriage would require parental consent. I suspect the state would not take too kindly to your parents granting you consent to marry an individual charged with a sexual offense against you. Please seek assistance from a counselor. I wish you well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.