Shawnee, KS asked in Consumer Law for Kansas

Q: Can I make a company comply with the last signed service agreement?

We have a company that takes our recyclable material and are to pay us per pound of useable material. Our last service agreement that was signed was in 2013. We received a steady flow of income from this company from 5/12-10/14. After 10/14 we did not receive any more income but they were still picking up our material and used said material for their business. The company is stating that we verbally approved for them to no longer pay us- no one in our company stated that and they cannot tell me who told them this was ok. Can I make the company pay us owed monies?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Written contracts typically have a clause saying they cannot be modified or amended except in writing. If that is the case with the 2013 service contract, the claimed oral waiver is invalid as a matter of law and you can enforce the contractual payment obligation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.