Orlando, FL asked in Divorce for Puerto Rico

Q: Can I get a divorce in PR if I've only been here 6 months (Left FL due to fear of husband harming me or my child)?

My husband and I have been separated for 10 months. We have a 8 month old daughter. He has been violent, aggressive towards me in various occasions. I left to Puerto Rico, because I didn't feel safe anymore after the threats of him wanting to kill me. I have been staying with my family for now. When I seeked help in Florida, the attorney informed me that unless I have proof of him doing physical harm to the baby he is entitled to 50/50. I am terrified of him harming her when he gets upset. I don't know what to do. I am scared of him

And don't want him near us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hi,

In Puerto Rico you can initiate a Divorce process under the following:

1) If you got married in Puerto Rico

2) If you didn't got married in Puerto Rico but has resided here for more than one year, or

3) If the reason of the divorce started in Puerto Rico, even if you didn't got married in Puerto Rico or have the one year residence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.