Chicago, IL asked in Car Accidents for Illinois

Q: My girlfriend and her baby was hit by a car crossing a mini mall exit. She okay she gona sue. What can she sue for.

They went to hosptial. She has leg muscles pain and the baby okay. But the stoller broke causing her baby to flip out the stoller to the floor

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Vincent Anthony Incopero

  • Elmhurst, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: In Illinois you can sue for any damages resulting from the negligent conduct of the driver. This would include, but is not limited to, medical bills and lost wages. I strongly suggest that you contact a lawyer immediately so that you get the proper guidance on how to proceed with this matter. Most importantly, your girlfriend should go to all follow up appointments with her doctors and strictly follow their instructions on what to do and what not to do.

Steve McCann

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There are a number of things your friends can sue for, particularly considering there was a baby involved in the collision. Simply put, she can sue for actual damages (i.e. medical bills, property damage, and wage loss), as well as damages for pain and suffering, which could be very high depending on the circumstances. Was she walking through a designated crosswalk? In any event, I would recommend telling your friend not to make a single statement to any party until she is represented by experienced counsel. No party will take her seriously until she is represented. In addition, many of us offer free consultations, so it will not cost her anything to obtain a professional's opinion that is tailored to the specific facts of her case. Only with representation will your friend obtain the recovery she and her family deserves.

Peter N. Munsing

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: She should contact a member of the Ill. Trial Laweyers Assn--they give free consults. She would be eligible for certain medical benefits as would the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.