Midlothian, IL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: My ex hasn't had contact with me or my 5 year old son for almost two years, can he file in court to see him?

He hasn't tried to contact me in over two years and now his new girlfriend is the one trying to contact me and my new husband. My son doesn't even remember who he is. He considers my husband his father. I worry it could be detrimental to his mental health to reintroduce him to his real father at this time. My ex was very abusive and i don't want anything to do with him if at all possible. He has never paid me a dime of child support since I left him in July of 2014 please let me know what it is he can do if anything please. I haven't answered anything he girlfriend has sent to me or my husband considering it isn't even coming from him.My husband and i are looking to have my husband legally adopt my son as well.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Peters
Angela Peters
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Arlington Heights, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I urge you to talk with an attorney pronto. If you and your husband were to adopt the child, then your ex would have no rights to the child. Otherwise, the Judge will consider the ex's request for visitation. The Judge is not going to cut off the dad's rights because dad has been absolutely irresponsible for years.

Talk to an attorney and come up with the best plan for your family.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.