Denver, CO asked in Collections for Colorado

Q: If me and my former roommate have a collections account open on the money owed to an apartment and i pay my half can i

Get the other half removed from my name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Review the documents that created the account. For most roommate situations, all parties listed on the lease agreement are jointly and separately liable for all the required payment(s). In other words, you may be required to pay the full 100% of the deficiency to the landlord. If this occurs, you can seek legal action against your former roommate for their unpaid portion (50%?). That is, it is the responsibility of the roommate(s) to ensure the proper allocation of unpaid rent; the landlord is not required to stop collections until the full deficiency is paid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.